Sunday, March 30, 2008

WEEK 8 Slamming the boards


Slamming the boards in your local library sounds good.

My local library provide a service called " Ask a librarian". Questions are e mailed by the patron and answered by the next working day.

With the right promotion and marketing of slamming I believe this could be very successful in public libraries. The decline in reference questions has been noticed in my library, this may be an exciting way of getting students/kids to ask questions and not feel silly by not knowing the answers. Kids spend a lot of time on computers these days, although they may not come to the library physically they could use the librarian to get the required information they need which may also direct them back through the library doors.

I am so over kids thinking that they can Google everything. I am constantly showing kids the database resources that the library have. They are shocked when I take them through a step by step tour of whats on offer, Parents are also dumbfounded at the information which is at the tips of their fingers.

I have also answered a question on Yahoo 7 Answers this week .

No comments: